CSP™ (Certified Speaking Professional)
Be Recognized at the Highest Level: Get Certified
As a member of the National Speakers Association® (NSA), you can start preparing for the CSP™ (Certified Speaking Professional) designation. The CSP designation is conferred by the NSA. The CSP designation is the speaking profession’s highest earned international measure of professional platform competence. When you earn your CSP designation, meeting professionals looking to hire the best of the best will see your commitment to the profession, know you have top-notch speaking ability and a track record of professionalism and success.
Less than 12 percent of the 5,000+ speakers worldwide, who belong to the 14 member associations of the Global Speakers Federation (GSF), currently hold this professional designation. This means you’ll be recognized as one of the best in your field and set yourself apart for an even more successful speaking career.
The CSP designation is earned by mastering the four professional competencies adopted by the NSA Board of Directors:
- Eloquence – The art of speaking and the use of powerful and persuasive presentations.
- Expertise – Knowledge, skills and experience in a specific area.
- Enterprise – The purposeful undertaking of a successful speaking business venture.
- Ethics – The standards governing the conduct of those in the speaking profession.
To earn the CSP designation, a speaker is required to:
- Perform and document hundreds of presentations
- Show income earnings of $50,000+ for a minimum of five years
- Receive excellent ratings on performance evaluations from past clients and fellow CSPs
- Take part in ongoing education
- Maintain and renew their designation every 5 years
Where do I start?
Start the process to earn your CSP for 2019 submission. The deadline to apply is Monday, January 14, 2019.
Requirements for CSP Application
Professional Member in good standing of NSA or a member association of the GSF for 12 continuous months (1 year) immediately prior to submitting your application.
Attend one (1) NSA or member association of the GSF, national, annual, in-person event in the past 10 years. (Eligible years include 2009 through the end of 2018.)
Attend the three (3) required sessions – “How to Earn Your CSP” session, the Professional Competencies session AND the Professional Business Ethics session.
Document 250 paid presentations delivered in the past 10 years using Presentation Spreadsheet. (Eligible years include 2009 through the end of 2018.) Download Presentation Spreadsheet template.
- A presentation is defined as a paid speech delivered to a live audience of 15 or more attendees. Presentations may be either in-person or virtual. Virtual presentations must be live, real time, non-interview style.
- Up to 25% of your total qualifying presentations can be to an audience of less than 15, with a minimum of 3 attendees.
- Up to 25% of your total qualifying presentations may be given virtually (webinars, teleseminars, video conferences, etc.).
- Document multiple presentations separately, dividing the total number of presentations into the total amount paid to arrive at a fee paid per presentation.
- All presentations must be consistent with your usual fee to be counted.
Document the income earned for each presentation to show total earnings of $50,000 USD per year* for five of the 10 years. (Years do NOT have to be consecutive.) *International applicants please contact Sarah.
- The fee paid for a presentation and/or revenue generated from same day product sales count as your income.
Provide a minimum of 20 names of individual clients willing to complete an online evaluation of your work using Client Listing Form. Download Client Listing Form template. NSA will send out evaluations and must receive 20 completed evaluations within two weeks from date sent. A total average evaluation score of 30 out of 36 must be received for application to advance.
Submit link to a Public or Unlisted YouTube video recording of a full, in-person, unabridged presentation, 45 minutes in length, but no longer than 60 minutes, or a continuous unabridged 60 minute excerpt from an appreciably longer presentation, such as an all day workshop or training, for review by a four member CSP panel. The panel wants to see a presentation that is representative of what you get paid for, and of your skills. A total average evaluation score of 30 out of 36 must be received for application to advance.
Salaried employees may be eligible to apply. Please see our CSP Frequently Asked Questions page.
NOTE: Applications for 2018 were due Friday, January 12, 2018. Please consider submitting an application for consideration in 2019. The 2019 CSP online portion of the application process will be available after September 1, 2018.
The 2018 CSP online portion of the application process will be available after September 1, 2017.