CSP™ (Certified Speaking Professional)
Be Recognized at the Highest Level: Get CertifiedAs a member of NSA, you can also start preparing for the CSP designation. Conferred by the National Speakers Association, the CSP is the speaking profession’s international measure of professional platform competence by which you become a Certified Speaking Professional. NSA provides its CSP™ evaluation and testing services to determine conformity with certification standards in the field of professional public speaking. When you earn your CSP designation, meeting professionals looking to hire the best of the best will see your commitment to the profession, know you have top-notch speaking ability and a track record of professionalism and success.
About 12 percent of the 5,000 + speakers worldwide, who belong to the 13 member associations of the Global Speakers Federation, currently hold this professional designation. This means you’ll be recognized as one of the best in your field and set yourself apart for an even more successful speaking career.
The CSP designation is earned through demonstrating competence in professional standards:
- Platform skills
- Business management
Where do I start?Start the process to earn your CSP for 2017 submission. The deadline to apply is Thursday, January 12, 2017.
The application fee is $375. The resubmission fee is $100.
Requirements for CSP Application
- Professional member in good standing of NSA or a member association of the GSF for 12 continuous months (1 year) immediately prior to submitting your application.
- Attend one (1), NSA or member association of the GSF, national, annual, in-person event in the past 10 years. (Eligible years include 2007 through the end of 2016.)
- Attend the “How to Earn Your CSP” session, the Professional Competencies session AND the Professional Business Ethics session at a NSA in-person event or purchase and listen to session recordings, within 10 years prior to submitting your application.
Session recordings are available for purchase here. Session titles include:
- How to Earn Your CSP
- The Four Competencies: Building A Strong, Successful Speaking Business
- Be the Ethical Speaker Your Dog Thinks You Are
- Document 250 paid presentations delivered in the past ten years. (Eligible years include 2007 through the end of 2016.) Document multiple presentations separately, dividing the total number of presentations into the total amount paid to arrive at a fee paid per presentation. Download Presentation Spreadsheet template.
- A presentation is defined as a paid speech delivered to a live audience of 15 or more attendees. Up to 25% of your total qualifying presentations can be to an audience of less than 15, with a minimum of 3 attendees. Up to 25% of your total qualifying presentations may be given virtually (webinars, teleseminars, video conferences, etc.). Virtual presentations must be live, real time, non-interview style.
- Document the income earned for each presentation to show total earnings of $50,000 USD per year* for five of the ten years. (Years do NOT have to be consecutive.) *International applicants please contact Sarah.
- The fee paid for a presentation and/or revenue generated from same day product sales count as your income.
- Provide names of individual clients willing to complete an online evaluation of your work. NSA must receive 20 completed evaluations within two weeks from date sent. A total average evaluation score of 28 out of 36 must be received for application to advance. Download Client Listing Form template.
- Submit link to a Public or Unlisted YouTube video recording of a full, in-person, unabridged presentation, 45 minutes in length, but no longer than 60 minutes, or a continuous unabridged 60 minute excerpt from an appreciably longer presentation, such as an all day workshop or training, for review by a four member CSP panel. The panel wants to see a presentation that is representative of what you get paid for, and of your skills.
- Salaried employees may be eligible to apply. Please see our CSP Frequently Asked Questions page.
- For application in 2018: A total average internal (CSP Review Panel) evaluation score of 30 out of 36 must be received for one’s application to advance to the final phase of the process.