July 18-21, 2015
Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, D.C.
Influence 2015 Live Stream
AgendaNSA Influence 2015 Schedule
Pre-Convention Event: Cavett Institute - Friday, July 17, 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
An amazing one-day learning program - is jam-packed with networking and learning designed specifically for aspiring speakers. The Cavett Institute is $95 to all current National Academy participants and $195 to anyone else interested in attending. Check out the agenda and register online.
Pre- Convention Event: Global Speakers Network (GSN) Symposium GSN Institute - Friday, July 17 2:00 p.m.–5:00 p.m.; GSN Symposiums Reception, 5:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Speak more globally and make more money globally! GSN members, who are some of the most successful speakers in the world, are invited to this symposium to share and exchange mastermind knowledge, including what’s new in the technology world for global speakers. This is certainly a must-attend event for those who are serious about speaking worldwide.
Pre-Convention Event: The Speaker Games - Friday, July 17, 8:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m.
The Speaker Games: Sell or Die
Enjoy a parody of “The Hunger Games” where only one speaker survives. Top humorists sell you on an invented product or service and you control their fate by voting on your smart phones. Some of the oh-so-funny people competing to survive include: Brian Walter, CSP, CPAE and Tami Evans co-emcee as Caesar Speakerman and Effie Profit. But be warned, they will also bring volunteers on stage to “face off” to answer outrageous speaker questions for equally outrageous prizes. Of course, the ultimate comedy sell or die showdown between the two final speakers ends the competition. Who will survive? The audience decides.
Pre-Convention Event: Rainmaking Strategies for Speakers- Saturday, July 18, 1:30pm - 3:30pm
Are you looking to close more business in 2015? Are you aware that Business Development has changed more since the end of the economic downturn (2009) than in all of the previous 30 years? If you’re responsible for business development, get ready to attract more customers and more revenue. Mark your calendar now for a powerful pre-convention event you won’t want to miss.
Pre-Convention Event: Can You Do That in a Keynote? The Art & Skill of Transformational Audience Interaction- Saturday, July 18, 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Meeting planners are looking for speakers who create keynote learning experiences. Discover in this pre-convention 3-hour deep dive, how to deliver your program with a participant-centered focus to achieve true audience transformations. Bring a section of your program that needs more interaction and walk away with several brilliant ways to make your content stick and your evaluations soar!
Chapter Leadership - Saturday, July 18, 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Are you a leader in your Chapter or do you plan to be in the future? Then, this session is a must! Network with other Chapter leaders, learn more about tools and best practices for Chapter management, and hear NSA’s plans for the future from NSA Leadership. Chock-full of useful information, this session will also feature breakouts for a deeper dive into Chapter management and marketing, and a special presentation on leadership with Dan Nevins, US Veteran/Warriors Speak Director for Wounded Warrior Project®.
Million Dollar Speakers Group - Saturday, July 18, 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
This is a high-level, peer-to-peer learning session designed exclusively for NSA Members who have speaking-related businesses generating annual revenues of more than $1 million. Participants will brainstorm best practices and work on pressing challenges with their peers. Jeffrey Hayzlett, Margaret Fitzgerald, CSP and Randy Gage, CPAE will be playing special roles in the day – along with a few surprises. Topics of discussion will include (but not be limited to):
- Scaling Your Business
- Online Learning – Models and Platforms
- “Selling” Bigger Deals
- Licensing your Intellectual Property
- Finding and Keeping Good Employees
You’ll start new relationships with other successful members and you’ll leave with cutting-edge insights and strategies on how to grow your business, keep your competitive advantage and reduce complexity. Verification of revenue is required to participate in this program. If you qualify and would like to participate, contact NSA CEO Stacy Tetschner at Stacy@NSAspeaker.org for more details.
NSA Foundation Event - Sunday, July 19, Tasting at 6:30 p.m, Event at 7:45 p.m.
Do you enjoy making a difference in the lives of others? The NSA Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the National Speakers Association and is devoted to helping others facing health, financial or natural disaster emergencies. Admirable individuals have received financial support thanks to the generous, tax- deductible donations of members. But we still need help, and this is where YOU come in! Join us for a family-friendly evening filled with great food and entertainment for a worthwhile cause, featuring eclectic dinner tasting with exquisite cuisine around the world, an opening act that will have you on the edge of your seat, and an energetic, family- friendly performance from Jeff Civillico. There will be lavish items to bid on during our silent auction, with all proceeds going to the Foundation.
CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame®/Cavett Awards Banquet - Tuesday, July 21, 7:30-10:00 p.m.
Join legendary emcees Jon Wee, CPAE and Owen Morse, CPAE for INFLUENCE 2015’s biggest and best night, celebrating the art and business of speaking. Have dinner and drinks and enjoy entertainment from Wee and Morse’s renowned act The Passing Zone.
The Passing Zone is one of the most creative and exciting comedy duos in the world. Wee and Morse bring their newest act to the NSA stage to kick off the show and will serve as our hosts for the evening. This promises to be a performance that will have you delighted, terrified, and squirming in your seats – all in a good way! With appearances on “The Tonight Show,” “Hell’s Kitchen,” and as finalists on “America’s Got Talent,” The Passing Zone shatters everyone’s preconception of a juggling act. Their appearances for corporate groups put a whole new spin on collaboration, communication, trust and the incredible things that can be accomplished by an effective team.
On the last night of the Convention, we like to go out in style. So get dressed up for the gala of the year, cheer on the five new CPAE Speaker Hall of Fame® inductees and toast the new Cavett Winner. The Cavett Awards Banquet closes out INFLUENCE 2015 with an evening of celebration, dinner and dancing.
Youth Program - Saturday, July 18 - Tuesday, July 21
INFLUENCE 2015 offers a youth program designed for kids from ages 10 to 16. Those enrolled in the program participate in creative, educational and social activities that help mold them into the best individuals they can be. This special program provides a unique opportunity for participants to interact with speaking professionals and peers in a fun and safe environment.
First Timers Guide
First time at convention? We’re excited that you’re here! Here are things you don’t want to miss:
Get acquainted with INFLUENCE 2015! We have two first-timer sessions, especially designed to acquaint you with everything you’ll need to know while onsite in DC. You’ll meet other first-timers, hear from seasoned participants and end each session with a tour of the building. Take advantage of it on Saturday, July 18 at 2:30-3:30 p.m. or Sunday, July 19 at 7:00-8:00 a.m.
This year, our schedule is jam packed with content, with four general sessions and nearly 65 breakouts. As one participant shared, coming to the convention is like “drinking from a fire hose.” Get organized early and plan your convention experience online with our interactive schedule to save the general sessions and amazing breakouts you can’t miss.
Coming to convention as a new speaker? Register for the Cavett Institute and get special content designed just for you!
Experience community activities. NSA’s communities are plentiful and welcoming. Get involved online before you get to convention through our Facebook groups or #NSAChat. Information about upcoming community events at the convention is available at NSAspeaker.org/attend/convention.
The Staff Convention within a Convention
Bring your staff so they can learn greater skills and take more off your plate. The INFLUENCE “Staff Convention within a Convention” will be the most customized outpouring of educational content for speaker staff ever provided at one time by NSA. This mini-convention is designed for speaker staff, speakers who cover their own staff roles or who are considering hiring staff or virtual assistants. It will be the most robust set of custom educational content for staff ever provided at one time at an NSA Annual Convention. We promise that speakers with staff and solo-entrepreneur speakers who do staff functions themselves will find these sessions are “can’t miss.”
Technology at your fingertips
We have a mobile app to help you plan and personalize your agenda, connect with your peers through social media, and even engage in some healthy competition through the app’s contest feature.
It’s happening in the hallways!
Year after year, we hear that some of the best learning experiences happen when people connect with each other in the hallways to share big ideas, solve issues, create new ventures and seal lifelong friendships. We’re taking it up a notch this year and formalizing our hallway experiences where you’ll find special volunteer guides that will help you connect with new and old friends on your way to your afternoon sessions.
Focus on health with yoga, running, meditation and more. Join other early birds every morning Sunday through Tuesday to exercise your body before exercising your mind. View the full schedule options. Sessions are first-come, first served.
Break out of the mold of traditional 60 and 90-minute presentations by trying one of our new 30 minute campfire sessions, exclusively on Tuesday afternoon. You’ll get one big idea and go deep for thirty minutes with our experts who deliver what’s hot in the speaking industry right now and for the future.
Hospitality, Capital Style
Experience DC like a local. Visit the NSA-DC Chapter Hospitality Table and learn about hidden gems, up-and-coming neighborhoods, and recommendations from DC, Virginia, and Maryland chapter members. Watch “Speaker Business Weekly” and the INFLUENCE 2015 Facebook page for opportunities to sign up for walking or Segway tours, potential wine tastings and a visit to the Washington Harbor.
Experiential Exhibits and Entertainment
Grab lunch and smile the rest of day. Listen to three amazing lunch programs conducted by NSA’s own bad boy, Dale Irvin, CSP, CPAE. When you’re done, take advantage of the INFLUENCE 2015 Exhibit Hall, designed so that you can make personal connections with the people who create and manage cutting-edge tools, systems and solutions for professional speakers. We promise you’ll find industry partners who can help make your online learning, CRM, database or email marketing go so much further.
Professional Expert Group (PEG) Sessions
PEG sessions will be going on at this year's convention, you can view these sessions within the detailed schedule. Just search "PEG" to find the PEG sessions.
Earned your CSP or been awarded the CPAE? Take advantage of sessions designed exclusively for those at the top of their game and get deliberate interactions that will challenge those business and stagecraft assumptions to help expand the platform for greater exposure, financial success, and influence. Hear how experienced, successful speakers can sustain success in a market in which not only are clients and their needs continuously changing, but new - and excellent - speakers are entering the field every day.
Connect with other CPAEs and discover more about being an Ambassador of NSA. You will learn how to continue to grow mentorship opportunities for the greater NSA community and we will also discuss how to enhance and grow the value of your CPAE designation within the industry.
2660 Woodley Rd NW
There are hundreds of reasons why Washington, DC is an ideal destination. Here are just 10 of the many powerful reasons you will love the “Capital City.”
- DC is a must-see city. One of the world’s most talked-about destinations, DC attracts nearly 18 million visitors each year. People come from around the world to see all that the nation’s capital has to offer.
- Unmatched service. From registration and reservation services to lead distribution, Destination DC’s team of convention and tourism sales and services professionals deliver powerful support to make your gathering a success.
- Awesome accommodations. DC’s award-winning hotels are as well-known for their attentive service and their musthave amenities.
- An accessible city. With three airports, a convenient Metro system and plenty of pedestrian-friendly sidewalks, DC is easy to get to and around.
- A green capital. Green is the new red, white and blue these days in DC as hotels, restaurants and attractions are taking new steps to show their environmental awareness.
- Unique venues. Washington, DC is home to so many special event venues they need no decoration. Perfect for private dinner parties, receptions and other group gatherings, Destination DC offers a host of venues that will keep you networking and give you something to talk about.
- Access to power. In DC, you will enjoy access to leaders in politics, media, research and industry, plus dozens of colleges and universities with the potential to boost attendance. Tap in to these DC resources and get an experience you can’t find anywhere else.
- Wallet-friendly attractions. There’s no place that matches the assortment and quality of fantastic free attractions that await you in DC, from the magnificent memorials and monuments on the National Mall to must-see sites like the National Gallery of Art, the Library of Congress and the museums of the Smithsonian Institution. In 2011, Travel & Leisure named DC the #1 U.S. destination for museums and galleries.
- An international city. A true global village, DC is home to people of all different cultures, plus more than 150 embassies and international cultural centers.
- A city that celebrates. Festivals, special events, citywide conventions and star-studded galas are always on the calendar in DC.
NOTE: Due to the size of our convention and other activity in the city, the NSA block at the Marriott is currently full. There are several hotels within 2 miles of the Marriott with rooms available. We have provided a list below of those available properties.
- Omni Shoreham - contracted rate of $189 single occupancy, $209 double occupancy. Click here to book online.
- The Fairfax at Embassy
- The Dupont Circle Hotel
- Courtyard Marriott
Looking for a roommate? View the Influence 2015 Room Share List.
Looking to share a ride? View the Influence 2015 Ride Share List.
Getting to Convention
- Air Travel
- With three international airports and more than 2,200 daily flights to and from Washington, DC, traveling to the nation’s capital via air is a convenient option. Washington, DC’s three major airports are Reagan National Airport (Airport code- DCA), Dulles International Airport ((Airport code- IAD) and Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (Airport code- BWI). All are full-service airports offering an array of amenities. DCA and BWI are the closest airports.
- By Train
- Amtrak serves the Washington DC area with Union Station being the terminal stop. Once there, you can catch a taxi, Uber, bus, or the Red Line Metro train directly to the Marriott Wardman Park.
- Ground Transportation to the Hotel
- Taxi service is plentiful and economical in DC. In fact, DC has one of the highest taxi-to-citizen ratios in the country, with more than 6,000 taxis servicing the city. Taxis use a metered system just like every other city in the country.
- Rental cars are yet another option. All the major rental companies have locations throughout DC, and most have offices at the airports. Of course, some visitors choose to drive their own vehicles. Most hotels have parking facilities located within their structure, and visitors can find convenient street or garage parking with Spot Hero. The on-demand parking app helps drivers find parking, compare discounted rates and reserve a spot for up to 50% off with convenient.
- Washington, DC has one of the safest, cleanest and most efficient transportation systems in the world. Metrorail and Metrobus are the most convenient ways to get around DC, with Metrobus providing connections for locations not serviced by Metrorail. The Marriott Wardman Park is on the Red Line Metro Train at the Woodley Park-Zoo Stop.
BE AWARE: Convention Housing Scam Alert!
Please be aware there are groups contacting people about housing at our National Convention, Influence 2015, July 18-21 in Washington, DC. These groups are not affiliated with NSA, and you should not reserve your hotel guest room through these groups. They’re known as parasite companies in that they claim to be with a conference and/or the hotel, but they’re just scam artists that book rooms at a very low rate while charging you a much higher rate and collecting your credit card information for future use. A major difference is that these companies initiate contact with the guest via phone or email. Marriott and Passkey do not contact the guest unless requested by the meeting planner to do so.
Guest rooms for NSA attendees can only be booked via Passkey and only by the guest calling (877) 212-5752 or booking via the web link.
Should you be contacted by EHS or CHP (they’ve also gone by EHM Exhibitor Housing Management and GHM Group Housing Management), keep in mind they do not in any way represent the hotel or the conference.
Register for the Virtual Event!
Before July 17
- Before July 17
After July 18
- After July 18
New Member Opportunity
A Special Offer
- Live Stream + NSA Membership for 1 Special Price
Register for the In-Person Event!
Online Registration is closed. Please call NSA Headquarters at (480) 968-2552 to register via phone through July 14. After the 14th you must register onsite at the NSA Registration desk.
Special Events Registration
Online Registration is closed. Please call NSA Headquarters at (480) 968-2552 to register via phone through July 14. After the 14th you must register onsite at the NSA Registration desk.
Education Credits: Event attendees will earn two (2) education credits per day if registered as a daily registrant or eight (8) credits if registered as a full registrant toward the renewal of the Certified Speaking Professional® (CSP) designation. Cancellation Policy: All cancellation notices must be sent in writing (email acceptable) to NSA headquarters. A refund of your registration fee minus a $50 processing fee per meeting cancelled is available until 30 days prior to the start of the meeting. No refunds are available within 30 days of the start of the meeting.
Press and Media
NSA invites a small number of requesting press to cover the NSA Convention. Qualified journalists may submit a registration request to receive a complimentary media pass for NSA events. Click here for more information and instructions to request a media pass.